Lawn care is a pretty serious business. In fact, the United States spends approximately $30 million dollars per year on lawn care activities. That’s because 85 million households have private lawns and to keep these lawns lush, they use about 70 million pounds of fertilizer and 80 million pounds of pesticides are used every year.
The Average West Chester OH Lawn has Millions of Grass Plants
A lawn fills around six grass plants per square inch. Since the average West Chester OH lawn size is about one-fifth of an acre, this means there is over 1.2 million square inches in a yard and over seven million grass plants in that yard. Imagine how many grass plants there are on a golf course, where there is an average of 74 acres!
Homeowners Spends an Average of 4 Hours Per Week on Lawn Care in West Chester OH
And if they don’t have the time to do this on their own, they call in expert lawn care services. According to surveys, around 22 million homeowners hire these professionals to help them with their lawn care needs.
Here are some more interesting facts about lawn care that will be helpful to any homeowner:
- Cutting should follow the rule of one-third, because cutting it too short may stress out the grass and may invite pests like chinch bugs.
- Lawn should only be watered once (or twice at the most) a week.
- Approximately 3% of plant species are classified as weeds.
- Pulling out the weeds is not a guaranteed way of killing them.
- The best time to apply fertilizer is on late spring or early fall.